Guten Tag, Bonjour, Buongiorno, Allegra! Switzerland is quite small but truly spectacular country that boasts some of the most breathtaking natural sceneries in the whole world. Mighty snow-capped mountains, world-famous ski resorts, Alpine crystal-clear lakes, charming medieval towns, tranquil Alpine villages, picturesque cities like Geneva, Zurich, or Lugano, and of course delicious Swiss cheeses and chocolates make Switzerland very popular among adventurous travelers. It’s a perfect destination at any time of the year, so grab your hiking boots, warm clothes, and camera, and get ready to discover all the magical places that it has to offer.
Capital: None, although Bern is commonly referred to as "Federal City"
Official language: German, French, Italian and Rumantsch (depending on the canton)
Currency: Swiss Franc (CHf)
Fun Facts About Switzerland
- Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, and yet it’s one of the world’s safest countries and has a very low crime rate. The country’s murder rate is nearly zero (in 2020: 0.5 cases per 100k population - 47 homicides overall, 9 by firearm )
- Swiss people LOVE eating chocolate. Switzerland is the world's second-largest chocolate consumer - on average every single Swiss person eats 9.7kg of chocolate per year. Only Germans eat more - 11kg per person, per year. Incredible!
- If nuclear war ever breaks out, Switzerland is the best place to be. The country is really well prepared for that opportunity - it had enough nuclear fallout shelters to accommodate… the entire Swiss population! It’s even required by law that everyone must have access to one of the shelters in their building or a building close by.
- After Finland, Denmark, and Iceland, Switzerland is the fourth-happiest country on Earth.
- Only two countries in the world have a square flag, and Switzerland is one of them (the second is Vatican City).